Sunday, March 11, 2007

NICE TO PLAY...NO MATTER HOW OLD


This toy computer was given to Jonathan 10 years ago by H's boss.

It's old and run down now. The speaker is not producing loud clear sounds like it was before. It was tucked away in the cupboard cos I thot Jonathan is too old for it.

Then one day....Jonathan's homework was about writing a few sentences about his favourite toy.

One would have thot Jonathan would say I like to play Wheel of Fortune. I like my portable DVD player. I like to play with word cards.
NO....
He decided that he wanted to write about his toy computer. I have since long forgotten about it.
He didn't. So he asked me to write down for him about his toy computer....
"IT HAS A SMALL SCREEN" "IT HAS MANY BUTTONS AND A KEYBOARD" IT MAKES SOUNDS AND MUSIC"..something to that effect.
Next day, teacher read and asked him to bring it to class. He said yes. I had to search for it. Thot I threw it away. But...found it in the cupboard. took it out to clean and to Jonathan's delight...it still worked....although he has to strain his ears or go near it to listen.
So...it's been his favourite before and still is. He will ask for it. He will stretch out his hands to touch the buttons, altho he randomly touches becos of his fine motor skills. That was the first toy he ever liked and still loves it.

I tried him with new toy computers, even one recently given by a friend. But no....he still likes the good old computer that says "Hi! Lets play" when you turn it on.
That's Jonathan. "Let's play" and he continues to play. Not tired of it so long as it produces the sounds and allows him to stretch his arms, and of late, legs, until this 10 year old toy becomes too old to perform any more. It will remain his favourite toy and always will be. It's the love of his life...

No comments: