Wednesday, October 13, 2010

IN MEMORY OF GOH POH GEOK

I got to know PG (as she is affectionately known) 13 years ago when she joined the bank I was working in.  We became friends because our bosses worked closely together.

When Jonathan was born, she was there to help me for the first year.  She helped me with hospital bills and also bought an apnea machine for Jonathan because of his breathing problems.  I still have the tiny machine at home.

After I left the bank to become a full time caregiver, she went on to work and a few years later also left the bank.

We didn't keep in touch with each other.  But every year during Christmas, I always make a point to send her my home-made Christmas or Chinese New Year cards, sending my wishes and thanking her for all her help.

We never spoke or met up.  The only one time I called her within these 13 years was a short phone call to ask how she was doing but it was cut short because she had to attend to her grand nieces/nephews that she was caring for.

Yesterday, I got an email from another friend that she passed away 2 days ago.  It came as a shock.

PG was a gusty lady.  A person who was ready to extend a helping hand any time.  I find solace to know that she started attending church and even volunteering her services there.


For over 13 years, she pops up in my mind every now and then.  I never picked up the phone to give her a call but to give a silent thought and prayer.  2 weeks ago, her name came up as I was preparing Jonathan's milk.  I told myself I should call her but regretfully, because I was so busy then, it totally slipped my mind.

People say to me that if anyone suddenly comes to your mind ... you should just call or visit.  But sadly, I missed that chance.

I wish I could have attended a gathering they had a few years back.  But again, I wasn't able to because of Jonathan.

Now ... I will see PG again.  But this will be my final goodbye.

"Thank you, again, PG.  For the help you gave me during the first year of my life as a full-time caregiver.  I will never forget that.  I will remember the lunches we had with each other, of you telling me you love to eat vegetarian bee hoon but yet dislike the fact that they have too much MSG in them.  I remember the time you took my place at the desk so that I could join the company's instant karaoke contest, winning $800.

I remember you ... as a fun loving person who extends your help but yet want to remain as low key as possible.

I will never have the change to send you my Christmas cards again.  But you will always remain in my memory.

And most of all, I thank God for allowing me to get to know you.

Rest in peace PG"

4 comments:

Busy Mummy said...

Serene,

Its so true that life is short..frens that we never caught up wif can leave us and so for us, we may leave the earth anytime...

brings tears to my eyes when i read yr post as myself hv lost two collicks/frens this year...it really hurts me to think that just a phone call could have kept me reconnected and now we are worlds apart..

god bless

Serene Ho said...

Thank you Ms Busy Mummy. God bless you too :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Serene
Thanks for opening this thread. I am also an ex-colleague and friend of PG. I was away when I got an sms about PG's passing and could not attend her funeral. But everyday since that sms she has been heavy on my mind.
We usually meet as a group at year end for Christmas for dinner and catch up. I find it hard to accept that this year I will not get to hear her wacky stories.
May she rest in peace and somehow in heaven get to know how much she is loved and missed!

Serene Ho said...

Yes she was a wacky gal. I'm glad you got to meet her every year. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and visiting my blog Dear Anonymous.