Wednesday, July 08, 2009

A BEGINNING, A MUDDLE AND AN END

I chanced upon this book near the children's section of the Pasir Ris library. When I first saw it, the title struck me and I flipped open the book and enjoyed reading just one page.

And so I borrowed it.

And thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Avon, the snail, wants to write a book but he doesn't know where to start. Edward, the ant, gives advice, sometimes helpful, sometimes not, sometimes thinks he's smart, to help Avon through his writing struggles."

The writer, AVI, used words to make the story interesting. Words that made sense when they talked about cents. When you thought Avon used a word, Edward the ant will use it the other way around.

Simple yet intriguing.

Get it from the library and read it. It's a book for all ages, although it's stated for young teens.



An excerpt from the book:

"Edward, I think I've got a title for my book. I'm going to call it The Little Rock That Didn't Like to Breath."

"What would happen in the story?"

"The rock would hold its breath."

"For how long?"

"Until it changed its mind."

"Forgive me, Avon, but rocks don't have minds. They are thoughtless."

"Really?"

"No question about it."

"That explains it."

"Explains what?"

"For years I've talked to rocks. When they didn't answer, I always thought they just didn't want to speak to me. Now you say they are thoughtless. I certainly don't want to write about rude rocks!"

And he scratched out his title.

No comments: