Saturday, June 27, 2009

CORDYCEPS ~ A GOOD CHANGE ... I HOPE

I've started Jonathan on cordyceps* to Jonathan 2 days ago. I've been trying different types of vitamin C, multi vitamin but haven't really seen any good results to boost his immune system. Until his teacher suggested I try chinese medication to "pu sheng". To boost his body system.

A friend of mine gives cordyceps to her son (who's also a special needs child) and he hardly falls sick. So when we were at Tampines 1 last week, we decided to get the capsules. It's hard to get everything down through the feeding button because of the powder. So I try to dissolve as much as I can and leave the bigger particles behind. Yesterday was the first time and Jonathan reacted to it a little with built up secretion. But today, he was much better.

The initial notice is that his feet are not cold like they were for the past few months. But then it was only just that one time I checked his feet. They are more pinkish than before, which I'm glad. But I still have to observe a little more because it's just the beginning of the supplement intake. I pray that with this, his retching episodes will disappear altogether.

*Cordyceps sinensis is a type of fungus that has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for thousands of years. Cordyceps is also known as Chinese catepillar fungus, because it is a parasite that grows on the Tibetan caterpillar until the caterpillar dies, at which point it sprouts a mushroom. (Don’t worry, most cordyceps produced commercially in Western countries is actually grown on plant sources, such as soybeans.) The Chinese have long used cordyceps to promote overall good health, and modern research indicates that cordyceps does indeed support liver, kidney, heart, and immune system function. It also appears to act as an antioxidant in the body, protecting it from free radical damage.

No comments: